- K.P. Karuppan was born on 24 May 1885, at Cheranelloor, near Ernakulam, Kerala.
- His full name was Kandathiparambil Paapu Karuppan.
- He was born to Paapu and Kochu Pennu and the family was known for its skills in toxicology and for treating snakebite victims.
- The Malayalam meaning of Karuppan is “person of black colour,” but, ironically, Karuppan had a very fair complexion.
- His childhood name was Sankaran, the name Karuppan was given to him by a Tamil Gosai who was a family friend. The name Karuppan was suggested because the meaning of Karuppan is “a learned person” in Tamil.
- Pandit Karuppan was a poet, dramatist, and social reformer emerged from Ernakulam of Cochin State as a relentless crusader against untouchability and social evils.
- He was called the “Lincoln” of Kerala” for steering socio-economically and educationally backward communities to the forefront.
- As the first human rights activist of the Cochin State, he campaigned for the rights of lower-caste people, who at that time were not even permitted to enter Ernakulam.
- His first poem was Sthothramandaaram, he wrote Lankamardanam at the age of 12 with slokas styled in Shardoolavikreeditham.
- Karuppan studied Sanskrit Kavyas under Mangalappillil Krishnan Asan of Cherai and returned to Cheranelloor to study with Annamanada Rama Pothuval. The most significant period of his education was at Kodungalloor. The Kodungallur Kovilakam was a place of learning, due to the resident luminaries.
- Karuppan’s famous work Jathikummi, which criticised the prevailing caste system, was written in 1904 during the period of his study at Kodungallur Kovilakam and it became popular among the poor, he was then a 19-year-old student.
- He started his teaching career at Caste Girls’ High School at Ernakulam in 1912, In August 1925, he was nominated as a member of the Cochin Legislative Council
- Pandit Karuppan died of pleurisy on 23 March 1938 at the age of 53
Important Question on Pandit Karuppan
1. Full name of K.P.Karuppan: Kandathu Parambil Pappu Karuppan
2. Original name of Pandit Karuppan: Sankaran
3. Born on: 24 may 1885
4. Born at: Cheranelloor (Ernakulam)
5. Father’s name: Pappu
6. Mother’s name: Kochupennu
7. Wife’s name: Kunhamma
8. Daughter’s name: Parvathy
9. The house was Pandit Karuppan lived in: Sahitya Kudeeram (Ernakulam)
10. Pandit Karuppan belongs to which community: Dheevara (Fisherman)
11. The first guru of Karuppan: Azheekal Velu Vaidyan
12. Who is the leader of Kayal Sammelanam: Pandit Karuppan
13. Kayal Sammelanam was organised in: 14 February 1914
14. Kayal Sammelanam conducted on: Kochi Kayal
15. The year which Pandit Karuppan was appointed as the member of Cochin Legislative Assembly: 1925
16. Major works of Pandit Karuppan
- Sree Budhaa
- Araya Prasasthi
- Kairalee Kouthukam
- Bhaasha Bhaimee Parinayam
- Dheevara Tharuniyuda Vilapam
- Edward Vijayam
- Sangeetha Naishadham
- Sakunthalam Vanchipattu
- Rajaraja Parvam
17. The first poem of Pandit karuppan: Sthothramandaram
18. The first book in Malayalam literature questioning the cast system and untouchability: Jathikummi
19. The book written by Pandit karuppan to generate awareness against Superstitions: Acharabhooshanam
20. The first Sabha was founded by Pandit Karuppan: Kalyanadayini Sabha, Situated in- Anapuzha (Kodungalloor)
21. Founder of Prabodha ChandrodayaSabha: Pandit Karuppan, Situated in – North paravoor
22. Founder of Sanmarga Pradeepa Sabha : Pandit Karuppan, Situated in – Kumbalam
23. Founder of Vala Samudaya Parishkarini Sabha: Pandit Karuppan, Situated in – Thevara
24. Founder of Araya Samajam: Pandit Karuppan
25. Founder of Cochin Pulaya Maha Sabha: Pandit karuppan and K.P.Vellon
26. Founder of Araya Vamsha Dharani Sabha: Pandit Karuppan, Situated in – Engandiyoor
27. Founder of Jnanodayam Sabha: Pandit Karuppan, Situated in – Eda Kochi
28. Who is known as “Lincoln of Kerala”: Pandit K.P.karuppan
29. The title kavithilakan (Great Poet) was given to Pandit karuppan by: Maharaja of Cochin
30. The title Sahitya Nipuna was given to Pandit karuppan by: Maharaja of Cochin
31. The title Vidwan was given to Pandit karuppan by: Kerala Varma Valiyakoi Thampuran
32. Pandit K.P.Karuppan died on : 23 March 1938 (Pleurisy disease)
33. Pandit Karuppan monument is situated at : Cheranelloor
34. Pandit karuppan Smaraka Grammena Vayanasala(1953)Situated in : Cheranelloor
35. Founder of Pandit karuppan Smaraka Grammena Vayanasala : A.K.Velappan
36. The Pandit karuppan prize Instituted by : Pandit karuppan Vichara Vedic, Prize money = 25000/-
37. The first winner of Pandit Karuppan prize : Sugathakumari(2013)
38. Winner of Pandit karuppan prize 2014 : Matha Amrithanandamayi
39. Winner of Pandit karuppan prize 2015: Swami Chidananda Puri
40. The book Pandit Karuppan Jeevithavum Porattavum written by: Gopinath panangad
41. The book Pandit Karuppan (Malayalam) written by: Rajesh K Erumeli