- N. Kumaran Ashan born on 12 April 1873 in a merchant family belonging to the Ezhava community in Thiruvananthapuram district of Kerala.
- He is also known as Mahakavi Kumaran Ashan, the prefix Mahakavi, awarded by Madras University in 1922, means “great poet” and the suffix Ashan means “scholar” or “teacher”.
- He was also a philosopher, a social reformer and a disciple of Sree Narayana Guru
- His father was Narayanan Perungudi, was well versed in Malayalam and Tamil and his mother was Kaali.
- In 1917 Asan married Bhanumathiamma, the daughter of Thachakudy Kumaran – younger brother of Padmanabhan Palpu’s father. Bhanumathiamma, who was an active social worker, later remarried after Asan’s death and she died in 1975.
- Asan inherited his taste for Kathakali and classical music. Kumaru trained in mathematics and Sanskrit for which he had a passion.
- He got a job as a primary school teacher and an accountant to a wholesaler at the age of 14, he quit the job two years later to pursue higher studies in Sanskrit.
- He undertook a studentship in poetry under Manamboor Govindan Asan.
- He wished to learn Yoga and Tantra and worked as an apprentice in a Muruga temple at Vakkom.
- He died aged 51 as a result of a boat accident in January 1924 while traveling to Kollam from a function in Alappuzha.
Important Question About Kumaran Ashan
1. Birthplace of Kumaranasan – Kayikkara (Thiruvananthapuram)
2. Born on – 12th April 1873
3. Kumaranasan died on – 1924 January 16
4. The only poet in Malayalam became Mahakavi without writing a mahakavyam – Kumaranasan
5. The title ‘Mahakavi’ was given to Kumaranasan by – Madras University
6. Who was known as ‘Sneha Gayakan’ (Poet of love) – Kumaranasan
7. First Malayalam poet appeared on Indian postal stamps – Kumaranasan.
8. The first poet to became a member of Travancore Legislative assembly- Kumaranasan
9. Kumaranasan was one of the triumvirate poets of Kerala (the other two were Vallathol Narayana Menon and Ulloor S. Paraneswaralyer)
10. Kumaranasan undertook a studentship in poetry under – Manamboor Govindan Asan
11. The work of Kumaranasan written in the Vanchipattu Vruthum – Karuna
12. The plays written by Kumaranasan – Vichitravijayam, Mrityunjayam
13. Veena poovu was published for the first time in – Mithavadi
14. Kumaranasan was honored by Prince of Wales in – 1922
15. The character ‘Mathangi’ is in which poem of Kumaranasan – Chandalabhikshuki
16. “Change the rules, if not, you will be changed by them ‘ was the warning given by – Kumaranasan
17. The childhood name of Kumaranasan – Kumaru
18. The translation of ‘Light of Asia’ written by Kumaranasan – Sribuddha Charitham
19.1First notable work of Kumaranasan – Veena Poovu
20. The spot where Asan met with premature death was later named – Kumarakoti