- Dr. Palpu (Padmanabhan Palpu)was born on 2nd November 1863 at Pettah in Thiruvananthapuram.
- Dr. Palpu was a relentless fighter for the cause of the Ezhavas in Kerala.
- Sarojini Naidu praised him one of the greatest revolutionaries in India.
- He was the founder of ‘Travancore Ezhava Sabha’.
- It was the efforts of Dr Palpu marked the beginning of the long drawn out struggle to be waged by the backward classes within the Hindu community in Travancore for securing social equality and justice.
- He was the first medical graduate from Ezhava community in Travancore.
- As there was no opportunity for him to serve in Travancore government service, he joined the medical service of the neighboring state of Mysore.
- Dr.Palpu was the third signatory in the Malayali Memorial (1891), a mass petition signed by 10038 persons submitted before Sree Mulam Tirunal, the King of Travancore which marked the beginning of the united social effort in the state to press the demands of the backward classes.
- On the initiative of Dr.Palpu, a mass memorial signed by 13176 members of Ezhava community was presented to Sree Mulam Tirunal on 3rd September 1896. This document known as Ezhava memorial of 1896 demanded that the Ezhavas should be made beneficiaries of all those rights and privileges which were being enjoyed by their brethren who had become converts to Christianity.
- The Government’s reply to the Ezhava memorial was too equally frustrating and reactionary in tone and content.
- Disappointed by the attitude of the Government of Travancore, another memorial was submitted before Lord Curzon, the Viceroy when he visited Travancore. This is known as Ezhava Memorial of 1900.
- This also was not considered favorably. Thus the Ezhava memorials failed to produce any tangible result.
- Dr. Palpu took initiative to establish Sree Narayana Dharma Paripalana Yogam in 1903.
- It was the advice given by Swami Vivekananda to associate with some spiritual person in his effort to fight for the rights of the Ezhavas that drew him to Sri Narayana Guru.
- Dr.Palpu spent the major share of his income for the activities of SNDP Yogam.
- He called Kumaranasan as ‘Chinna Swami’.(‘Periya Swami’ was Narayana Guru)
- He passed away on 25th January, 1950.
- Dr. Nataraja Guru, who founded Sree Narayana Gurukulam for the propagation of the ideals of Sri Narayana Guru was the son of Dr. Palpu.
Important Questions on Dr. Palpu
1. Dr.Palpu was born on – 2 November 1863
2. Born at – Pettah (Thiruvananthapuram)
3. House Name – Nedugottu Veedu
4. Father – Padmanabhan
5. Mother – Matha Perumal
6. Wife – Bhagavathi Amma
7. First Guru – Pettayil Ramanpillai Assan
8. The first Graduate from Ezhava Community in Travancore- Velayudhan (Brother of Dr. Palpu)
9. The first Medical Graduate from Ezhava Community in Travancore – Dr.Palpu
10. Malayali Memorial was submitted in – 1891
11. Leader of Malayali Memorial – Barrister G.P.Pillai
12. Other important leaders of Malayali Memorial – K.P.Sankaramenon and Dr.Palpu
13. The Founder of Ezhava Maha Sabha (Greater Ezhava Association) – Dr.Palpu (1896)
14. The first meeting of Ezhava Maha Sabha (Greater Ezhava Association) was held at – Thiruvananthapuram
15. The leader of Ezhava Memorial – Dr.Palpu
16. The number of people who signed in Ezhava Memorial – 13176
17. Ezhava Memorial was submitted to – Sree Moolam Thirunal
18. Ezhava Memorial was submitted on – 3 September 1896
19. The leader of Second Ezhava Memorial – Dr.Palpu
20. Second Ezhava Memorial was submitted in – 1900
21. Second Ezhava Memorial was submitted to – Lord Curzon
22. The book “Treatment of Thiyyas in Travancore” was written by – Dr.Palpu
23. The Article “Thiruvithamkotte Theeyan” was written by – Dr.Palpu (In Madras Mail Daily)
24. Dr.Palpu met Swami Vivekananda in – 1882 (Mysore)
25. Dr.Palpu met Sreenarayana Guru in – 1895 (Bengaluru)
26. The founder of Malabar Economic Union – Dr.Palpu
27. Dr.palpu called Sreenarayana Guru as – Periya Swami
28. Dr.palpu called Kumaran Asan as – Chinna Swami
29. Who is known as “Political Father of the Ezhavas” – Dr.Palpu
30. Who describes him as the “Political Father of the Ezhavas” – Ritty Lukose
31. Dr.Palpu was died on – 25 January 1950
32. The founder of Sree Narayana Gurukulam (situated in Nilgiris) – Dr.Nataraja Guru (Son of Dr.Palpu)
33. The book “Dr.Palpu” was written by – Velayudhan Panilasherri
34. The book “Dr.Palpu Dharmabodhathil Jeevicha Karmayogi” was written by – M.K.Sanu
35. The book Dr.Palpu was written by – T.K.Madhavan
36. The winner of first Dr.Palpu Memorial Award 2012 – Dr. M.R.Rajagopal
37. The winner of Dr.Palpu Memorial Award 2013 – M.K.Sanu
38. The winner of Dr.Palpu Memorial Award 2014 – V.M.Sudheeran