KERALA PSC SECRETARIAT ASSISTANT / COMPANY BOARD ASSISTANT EXAM ENGLISH QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS 2018
1. The phrase/idiom that means ‘One who argues against a cause or position, not as a committed opponent but simply for the sake of argument or to determine the validity of the cause or position’:
(a) A doubting Thomas
(c) Devil’s advocate
(d) Against the clock
2. ‘Per capita’ means:
(a) For each person
(b) For each student
(c) For each woman
(d) For each boy
3. He takes pride ____ his son.
4. The meaning of ‘COMMEND’:
5. Joint sovereignty exercised over a country by two or more countries.
6. Which part of the sentence has an error?
(a) The behaviour/
(b) of the/
(c) children were/
7. The synonym of ‘EXTRICATE’:
8. ‘Pillar to post’ means:
(a) Home to post office
(b) Office to office
(c) Home to office
(d) Place to place
9. The opposite of ‘Capricious’:
10.‘Per diem’ means:
(a) Per year
(b) Per day
(c) In a body
11. A teacher ______ friendly with the students.
(b) should be
12.He did not qualify _____ the job.
13.I’m late for the meeting. It started about ten minutes _____.
14.____ Dutch defeated ____ Portuguese in the battle.
(d) The, an
15.Find out which part of the sentence has an error?
(a) Bad Husbands
(b) often have
(c) good wife
(d) No error
16.Which is opposite in meaning to ‘OBSCURE’:
17._____ does UNO stands for?
18.The crowd threw stones at the police, heedless ___ the consequences.
19.She was surprised that he knew her name. She _____ never met him before.
20.The world needs to depend on other energy resources, _____ oil and other natural resources.
(d) also besides
21.‘Flying colours’ means:
(a) Great victory
(b) Dark colours
(c) Light colours
22.His views are do not accord ____ mine.
23.The correctly spelt word is:
24.A vehicle for carrying dead body at a funeral:
25.These are books without ____ you cannot write the examination.
1 (c) 2(a) 3 (b) 4 (b) 5(d) 6(c) 7(d) 8(d) 9(d) 10(b) 11(b) 12(a) 13(a) 14(c) 15(c) 16(c)17(a) 18(a) 19(d) 20(c) 21(a) 22(d) 23(c) 24(a) 25(a)